Sunday, June 29, 2008

CASA HOGAR :: BARRA DE NAVIDAD::JOEL’S BIRTHDAY

(FRIDAY: Joel Writing)

Friday Leslie and I went with Alisha and Amy to Casa Hogar. It is an orphanage out by the airport. The first impression is awesome... It is a gated compound with nice white buildings and neat architectural flourishes. The girls had been working in the Baby section of the orphanage for almost a month. They will be leaving next week.

I am impressed with people who can work with young kids. I am sure it will be different when they are my own, but these kids were so needy. They have 15 kids and only 1 or 2 Lady volunteers. Some of these kids are in really bad shape. Imagine 15 of Jackie’s little brother Pelucas. The majority of these kids are non verbal and hyperactive. A few seem to have mental or physical disabilities, it breaks my heart that I can not heal them. There were two that I held for a while and they seemed pretty un- responsive. One girl was very skinny with thin hair. She was just laying on the ground in a twisted position. I picked her up and held her, but she did not react like a normal child. Instead, she rubbed her face against my t-shirt as if she enjoyed the sensation. Her hands were grabbing her own feet, her hair was in her face and I felt as if I could not do anything to help her. Another child wanted to be held all the time. I had the joy of feeding him lunch. A half of spoon full at a time for about 20 minutes finally finished his bowl. I do not know how old he was. He had his bottom 2 teeth, the beginning of the 4 front tops and the addition of two molars. He was not eating any solids. When he would cry and I did not know what to do, Leslie came to my rescue and magically calmed him down.

Some of the healthy ones need medical attention for (diaper rashes, skin sores and bug bites). When I first heard there were only 15 kids I thought that was nothing. But these kids really need more one on one attention. The only orphanages I have seen have been on TV movies. This was nothing like Pipi-longstocking, Little Orphan Annie or Oliver Twist. It was Hot and sweaty and these kids have not been introduced to boundaries. I know the ladies there are doing the best they can, but these kids need more care.

After the Orphanage, Leslie and I decided to travel to Barra de Navidad to explore some more of Mexico. It is about a 3 hour drive from Vallarta. We pass by the ocean on the first leg of the trip, then it is into the windy mountain roads. We passed some pine trees, mango trees, agave plants, cows on the side of the road and a few small towns. I think there was just one gas station in the middle.(Agave Fields)
There was one section of the road that the road looked like it was moving. After about 30 seconds, we realized there were little crabs that were crossing the road. They moved very fast. I do not think I hit any, but there were quite a few crab cakes on the road.

The most interesting vehicle of all the ones we passed was a Truck with a doll tied to the back... the picture should speak volumes.

We are staying in Hotel Delfin. $50 for both of us, free wireless internet and it includes a locked Garage for our car. The climate is about the same as Puerto Vallarta, but I notice a lot more BUGS! Big ones, small ones, biting ones, crawling ones and Flying ones just to name a few. Tomorrow we plan on sleeping in, eating breakfast and surfing at some nice beaches.

(SATURDAY: Leslie Writing)

We woke up this morning at around 9AM and decided to go eat breakfast. We have notice that Barra is a little muggier and a lot less breezy than PV which causes us to sweat a lot more. Our impression with Barra is good, but we like PV more. We ate breakfast this morning in a place called “Banana’s Cafe” in another hotel right on the ocean. The stretch of beach was really nice, and smaller than the beach in PV.
(The Community by El Carreyes)
After eating Breakfast we decided to hit the road as the beach recommended to us by the locals is about 45 minutes North. We drove and drove and must have missed the turn for it. In all, we took two side trips off the main road. One was to check out a Hotel called El Carreyes. It was very impressive; built 30 years ago and BEAUTIFUL! The pictures don’t do it justice. It’s a great place for those really looking to “get away,” because it’s miles from anywhere.

The second stop was a a random beach since we passed up the one we were supposed to go to. The wind was blowing really strong and the water was very violent. We decided to brave it anyway, and I had an accident the first wave I rode in. It was so strong that instead of pushing me smoothly to shore, it pushed me directly board first and head first into the sand. My board was stuck up and down at one point in the sand as was my body. As I was being tossed around, my body bent backwards and Joel came over and picked me up out of the water. The under toe was VERY strong too and it took a lot of strength just to get out of the water. God was watching and protecting me...We were miles from nowhere on a TOTALLY deserted beach and my neck or back could have snapped and broken! As soon as I was out of the water and realized what happened and what could have happened, I began to cry and decided that I wanted to go home. We are so thankful something worse didn’t happen!

We made it home safely and in time for dinner. We decided to try a new place per Joel’s Uncle Bob’s recommendation, called Barcelona. It was similar to a Tapas bar in Spain. We ordered two entrees each to share per the recommendation of our waiter. The food was wonderful and we will probably be going back there again. It’s a fun place to bring friends because the more people who come, the less you have to order as the theme is “sharing.”

(SUNDAY: Leslie Writing)

Today is Joel’s actual birthday. I organized a surprise Birthday cake and surprise singing of “Happy Birthday” at church. Randy and Sandra picked up a cake that I ordered at COSTCO and brought it to church. Joel wasn’t expecting it at all, so it was a nice little surprise.

Our neighbor Leina had her first communion today and there is a celebration going on all day within our neighborhood. We came home from church and ate a big breakfast and Leina just informed me that it’s time for more. Pepe, Leina’s dad said there might be a little pinata action later for Joel’s birthday. After eating in a few minutes, Joel has decided he wants to go see a movie.

When we get home, we have a couple options for a birthday present...his choices are either a Wii, life vest, or new wedding ring, although he just got a replacement ring for $10.

That’s about all we know for now. It’s been nice being adventuresome for the past couple days. Our plan this week is to help at the construction site again, maybe twice, and Casa Hogar again. Also, Pastor Luis Miguel from Pan de Vida tells us that the water trip for the kids is tentatively scheduled for next Saturday. The water park didn’t work out, but we will be able to take them to the beach or river. Pastor Ric comes back on Wednesday and the mission teams don’t start trickling in for another week and a half. We are planning on doing a trip to Guadalajara after church next Sunday and staying until the following Friday or Saturday. Since Sayulita is on the way too and from, we plan on staying a night or two there too.

Please be praying for continued good health for us and for our trip plans to work out. We have been saving little by little to be able to do something like Guadalajara and Barra de Navidad since we got here. We appreciate you checking in and are becoming anxious to come home.

We love you guys!

The Kellners

1 comment:

JeanneMom said...

M-m-m-m....costco cake! I know Joel liked his surprize. Barcelona looked like a fun place, too.

This past week you have had many new experiences. They have been burned into your mind and emotions, in God's sovereignty.

Who are your four letter friends? DEET, AGUA, REST would be important ones.

I was reading about reverse culture shock on Google. I had not considered that reality before stumbling upon the subject. I actually was hunting for info about Guadalajara. U of Idaho has a study abroad program at one of the universities there and their handbook for students was posted. It might be something to check out as you prepare to return to America.

Our three hot days have passed. Just a test to see if we can still sweat. There is a big difference between 65 and 85 degrees and the temperature has gone instantly from one to the other. There was a very cool lightning storm here Sunday night. Dad saw the lightning go from cloud to cloud.

Carl and I washed the silver bullet. He noticed yesterday that it was dirty again. We will give it another bath the end of the month and make sure the battery is doing what it is supposed to!

We love you,
Madre y Padre y Carlos