Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Hill-The Dump-Sayulita

Hello Everyone-
I finally took a picture of the hill... It does not look as steep as it actually is... I tried marking the verticals so you could get a better feel but it still does not capture the essence of steepness.

Yesterday we saw the ministry of Dennis and Faye. If I had to describe the scene in one word, it would be: Craziness. We arrived on a dusty street with garbage shack houses. The mission "Pan de Vida" (Bread of Life) is a concrete building where kids were already sitting for the meal before class.
Dennis and Faye had shopped at Sams club and delivered a ford explorer full of food and other items. We unloaded everything while the kids were given food. The process for eating works like this. First, the kids wash their hands and sit down at a table. Then volunteers deliver a plate full of food to each kid to be sure all have something. Once kids eat they are welcome to have 2nds until the food is gone or kids are full. After that, They wash their plates and cups them selves and place the clean items in a dish rack. Then sit at other tables for class.

Leslie and I shared a table and tried to teach young kids English words for items on flash-cards and days of the week. We had about 15 kids at our table and maybe 60 in the whole room.. There was lots of noise and Grabbing and coloring going on. It is going to be a challenge to come in and help establish order. There is no modeling of dicipline at their home, and many of the kids do not go to school. I think it would be great to show kids how to sit in their chairs and raise their hands to ask questions. I want to make a positive influence in their lives and am definitely going to need Gods help for wisdom.

I was given a special girl "Jacqueline". I think she may have A.D.D. because she has trouble sitting still and focusing for more than 1 minute. One problem they have is Jacqueline likes to go from one table to the next and distract the other kids. She was the first child to greet Dennis and Faye when we arrived. I think she is a very smart little girl. She was introduced to me when we arrived and remembered my name as we left. Pray that Leslie and I can help teach her patience and show her Gods love.

Today we took a day trip to Sayulita. It is a small beach town north of Vallarta. We bought a body board at Walmart. Leslie and I both went body boarding in the perfect waves of the bay. It was a nice way to spend a sunny Valentines Day together. I will have to add pictures later.

Like Leslie said, we are trying to relax and settle in this week before doing the ministry full time next week-

I hope all is well with you, thanks for checking in!

Joel and Leslie

3 comments:

Just Swagbucks said...

Hello Joel and Leslie! The Hansen's miss you guys! I sure hope everything is going as good as possible and that God is working through you two and the others working there. Thanks for keeping us updated with this site!!!
Christian and Melissa

Glenn Buttkus said...

Two smiling children there in Mexico with God's sun there on your shoulder; how wonderful. Melva and I are finally getting into the swing of how to check on your terrific blog site. Melva feels very self conscious about leaving "comments" on here for "all to read". Of course you will not encounter such reservations with me.

I understand that you had checked out the apartment before you rented it, but had no idea that the first thing you would find was that the cupboards and drawers would be completely empty; no plates, silverwear, cooking utensils. Gosh, what does a "furnished apartment" constitute down there?

Happy to read that you two went to a windy sandy beach on Valentine's Day and just took in the sun and body surfed. Leslie needs to remember to use her sun block. I am sure she wants to turn brown as a native, but remember the old nurse's training when it comes to UV & Infared radiation and cancer?
Just a hunk of parental advice. So Jeanne will come and visit soon. That is great! Then she and Bob will have spend a couple of days. And other friends are coming too. Such fellowship and friendship is rare. You two are truly blessed.

Glenn

Glenn Buttkus said...

Finally got the blogsite on my favorite's list at the office too. For some reason is it difficult to "find" it on Google. You have to try and try. It continuously denies the site exists, and then wham, it pops up regardless. Computers are odd that way.

Thought maybe you would have blogged some more of your adventures by now, or scanned in some photos--but no such luck. When Leslie called yesterday, the connection was terrific, better than from Federal Way. Startled me at first. I had to remind myself that she was calling from the wilds of Mexico, or at least the suburbs of Puerta Villarta, right?

I will check back later.

Love from Glenn and Melva